2/14/2019 - Santa Fe Avenue Streetscape & Waterline Update (Walnut Street to Iron Avenue)
Weather permitting, construction work for the street and water line on the east side of Santa Fe (northbound lane) between Walnut Street and Iron Avenue will begin on Friday, February 15th:
- Traffic control devices will be set up such that north bound traffic will be allowed until Monday, February 18th.
- At that time, northbound Santa Fe traffic will be detoured east on Walnut Street, north on 5th Street, and west on Ash Street back to Santa Fe Avenue.
- One Santa Fe southbound lane will remain open during this phase of the project between Walnut Street and Iron Avenue.
Street removals for the water main work near the center of the street will begin first (next week) before sidewalks are removed in this block:
- A pedestrian barrier will still be installed for this area beginning Monday, February 18th.
- Additional removals of the street and curb will begin one week later on February 25th starting near the Stiefel Theater and progress north along the east side of Santa Fe.
- Final removals of the sidewalk and storm structures will begin March 4th.
When the sidewalk is removed, it will be followed immediately with the placement of base rock to allow for foot traffic:
- Current business with entrances on the Santa Fe side will have a temporary ramp placed at the entrance to allow for access from the base rock until final sidewalk concrete is placed.
- Sidewalks will be detoured temporarily in isolated areas to allow for water service and fire protection connections to be made.
Pedestrian access to all storefronts is still available even though the Santa Fe Avenue street parking is disrupted. Plenty of downtown parking exists in the public parking lots and along Fifth Street and Seventh Street.