ORDINANCE NUMBER 20-11027
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE FUTURE LAND USE MAP OF THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
The former Lower Elementary School site which is legally described as Lots 7-19 Alternating on Republic Avenue and Lots 8-20 Alternating on Beloit Avenue, in the Grounds of Kansas Wesleyan University, an Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas, plus a vacated east-west alley. (the “Property”)
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Comprehensive Plan have been timely met;
- The requested Future Land Use Map amendment is justified by changing conditions in the community due to the closure of the Salina Christian Academy and the need to find a suitable reuse for the school building.
- The requested Future Land Use Map amendment advances goals and policies contained in the Plan because there is an identified need for additional rental housing in the community.
- There is a public need to change the Comprehensive Plan map to Urban Residential because the existing Public / Semi-Public land use designation of the former Lowell School site reflects the historic use of the school property but not the proposed reuse as housing.The Public / Semi-Public land use classification does not list multi-family housing as an appropriate land use, but the Urban Residential land use category does.
- The public need is best served by changing the land use designation of the Property.The proposed change in land use designation would support the conversion of the school buildings into residential housing units.
- The requested change would not negatively impact the surrounding area because no physical changes to the building are being proposed.The only proposed change in use is the conversion of the vacant school building from a private school to residential housing.The existing school building has been a part of this neighborhood since 1915.
Section 2. Comprehensive Plan Amendment. The Future Land Use Map (Figure 2.1) of the Salina Comprehensive Plan is amended to show the Property as a future Public/Semi-Public land use area.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once in the official city newspaper by the following summary.
Ordinance No. 20-11027 Summary
On August 3, 2020, the City of Salina, Kansas, passed Ordinance No. 20-11027. The ordinance amends the Future Land Use Map in the Salina Comprehensive Plan to show the future land use designation of the 2.04 acre site of the former Lowell Elementary School at the southeast corner of Highland Avenue and Republic Avenue as Urban Residential instead of Public/Semi-Public in order to be consistent with the proposed reuse of the school building as multi-family housing. A complete copy of the ordinance is available at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the city clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the city attorney.
Introduced: July 27, 2020
Passed: August 3, 2020
Michael L. Hoppock, Mayor
Shandi Wicks, CMC, City Clerk
The publication summary set forth above is certified this ____ day of August, 2020.
Greg A. Bengtson, City Attorney