ORDINANCE NUMBER 21-11067
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
The South 68 ft. of Lots 2, 4 and 6 on Claflin Avenue, the North 52 ft. of Lots 2, 4 and 6 on Claflin Avenue, the East 40 ft. of Lots 70 and 72 on Ninth Street and Lot 68 and the West 110 ft. of Lots 70 and 72 on Ninth Street all in the Grounds of Kansas Wesleyan University, an addition to the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas and addressed as 1518 Highland Avenue, 1512 Highland Avenue, 212 West Claflin Avenue and 1513 S. 9th Street (the “Property”).
The Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
- The Property is more suitable for university use than continued residential and commercial use due to its proximity to the main KWU campus.The current R-3, C-3 and PC-5 zoning inhibits the reuse of the former service station site and the vacant lots for university related uses such as KWU’s Art Program and accessory campus parking.
- The rezoning request area is adjacent to existing U zoned property so the requested U zoning would be compatible with the zoning and uses of nearby property. Approval of U zoning would be a logical extension of the existing U district along this portion of the Claflin Avenue corridor and KWU campus.
- Needed public utilities and streets are already in place to serve the needs of the rezoning request area.
- While the requested rezoning requires an amendment of the Future Land Use Map to show the rezoning request area as Public / Semi-Public, an amendment to the Plan is justified in these circumstances due to the location of the Property in relation to the main KWU campus and existing university facilities and activity areas and the expansion of the KWU campus toward 9th Street.
Section 2. Amendment. DISTRICT “U”. UNIVERSITY DISTRICT. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT “U” UNIVERSITY DISTRICT.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 21-11067 Summary
On August 2, 2021 the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 21-11067. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of four lots on the north side of Claflin west of Highland Avenue that are owned by Kansas Wesleyan University from R-3 (Multi-Family Residential), C-3 (Shopping Center) district and PC-5 (Planned Service Commercial) district to U (University) district. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: July 26, 2021
Passed: August 2, 2021
Melissa Rose Hodges, Mayor
JoVonna Rutherford, City Clerk