ORDINANCE NUMBER 21-11072
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
Lots 1-9, Block B, plus the North Thirty feet (30’) of vacated Avalon Drive, in the Park West Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County Kansas. (the “Property”)
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
- The applicant has a specific redevelopment proposal and use for the Property; and
- This Property is suitable for some form of commercial reuse or redevelopment due to its construction and previous use as a Kmart retail store and the current C-3 zoning limits the redevelopment options for the site.
- The requested C-5 zoning would be compatible with the zoning and uses of nearby property to the south and east and consistent with the existing development pattern along the Broadway corridor.
- Needed public utilities and streets are in place to serve the proposed redevelopment site and the site has full access from Broadway Boulevard.
- The subject property is located within the boundary of the Broadway - Crawford Community Center and the requested C-5 zoning of the Property is supported by the Future Land Use Plan map.
Section 2. Amendment. DISTRICT C-5. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT “C-5” SERVICE COMMERCIAL.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 21-11072 Summary
On August 16, 2021, the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 21-11072. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of the former Kmart store at 400 South Broadway Boulevard from C-3 (Shopping Center) to C-5 (Service Commercial) to allow outdoor display and storage of merchandise which is now allowed under the current C-3 zoning. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: August 9, 2021
Passed: August 16, 2021
Melissa Rose Hodges, Mayor
JoVonna A. Rutherford, City Clerk